Friday, January 25, 2008

 

TV Doublespeak

There's hype, and then there's illiterate hype, and most of it is on TV, by TV, for TV.
One of the latest examples is that commercial for a pickup truck, a Toyota, I think. It shows the advertised trucks doing amazing(?) feats of truckiness, like screeching to a stop (well, we don't actually hear the screeching) at the edge of a cliff and pulling a huge box of something up from the bowels of the cavern next to the cliff. All of these are labeled, in small print down in a bottom corner: "Actual demonstration."
As opposed to what? A fake demonstration? These images would only be actual if people did them for any other reason than selling Toyota trucks. Otherwise, they're just demonstrations set up for the benefit of the cameramen, nothing more and nothing less. Nothing from what we like to call actual reality.
This follows in the grand tradition of my all-time favorite(?), those promos for TV shows that promise "All New" episodes. As opposed to "Partly New" episodes, I presume? The cake-taker, though, was this week's promos for "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" that ballyhooed the next episode as "All New" and wasn't even that. It was only "All New" to the NBC network; it had been aired a few weeks earlier on the USA cable network!
My other sad example is that ad for a motorized wheelchair that begins, "For some time, this woman was limited by her mobility." If she had the mobility, she wouldn't need the damned wheelchair, would she? Surely, she was limited by her lack of mobility, not the presence of it.
Who writes this stuff, fifth-graders? Oh, no, I forgot, they're smarter than that (I learned that from TV, too, and, unlike these others, it is mostly -- but not all -- true).

Comments:
Dear Dear Old Prof,

I wish I knew you! Why? Well...

That "limited by her mobility" commercial has been driving me batty for months. I have no one with whom to commiserate, since my colleagues (seemingly) don't watch television as much as I, and my partner does not share my outrage (she being of the opinion that I rant entirely too much as it is).

I share your opinion about the new Indiana license plate option, and I so wish you would have used your line on the clerk!

Oh, and I surely do know "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" Pete Seeger is a personal hero of mine.

Most sincerely,
Up for Tenure in Ohio
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?